Korean Time & Date

Current Weather

Monday, August 18, 2008

Five months and then some

It's been awhile since we've given a "life" update on here. We've been in Korea for a little more than five months and sometimes that feels like just a few weeks, and other times it feels like we've been here an eternity. Anyway, I thought I would mention a few new things that have been going on with us. Many of you know that Aaron has for the past 3 weeks been teaching a summer "intensive" class at his school. This is on top of his regular 6 days a week work schedule, so you can imagine how tiring it is for him! Luckily, he gets a new schedule with Saturdays free starting next week. I have also been teaching an extra class for the past few weeks so we haven't really had any time for "blog-worthy" material to post. I guess I should catch everybody up on the fact that I am even teaching at all. The opportunity came up around mid July for me to teach part time at a friend of ours school. I took on that job, and was called a few weeks later and asked to tutor about 28 kids divided up into 7 classes for an hour a week. I'm still volunteering, but with August being THE vacation month of Korea, many of the kids I spend time with are away at camp and visiting family so it's been put on hold until September. So we are just living and working, and anxious for Aaron's new schedule and a chance to leave the city. Oh, and cooler weather, too!

We are hoping for a trip to Seoul to see the DMZ, and do some other sightseeing. We thought we better give Seoul another chance since we didn't really get a good impression of it when we first arrived.

We still attend our little church and love spending time with our friends here.
Just last Sunday we met a new guy at church who is from Colorado Springs! It was the strangest thing to hear him speak because he really sounds like someone from home! Being a native, I have never felt like "we" have and accent, but listening to Andy talk was so familiar compared to the group we usually hang around. I mean we spend so much time around Koreans speaking "Konglish", and we have friends from just about every continent and they all have such different accents.
Anyway, in getting to know Andy he mentioned missing Q'doba and it instantly caused the most frustrating feeling in my stomach :( (Min, I'm still expecting you to have a burrito in hand for me when I step off the plane).

Nancy and Henry are making final preparations for their wedding in September. I'm really looking forward to attending. It's going to be a traditional Korean ceremony! The English foreigners will have to listen to a translator through a headset so we know what's going on. Should be fun!

We really miss everyone back home and really appreciate all the love and prayers.
Oh, and we are keeping up on the Olympics online, and sometimes we catch it on the t.v, but since we're in Korea it's mostly just replays of Park Tae-Hwan winning his gold.
It's OK though, the Koreans are really proud of their athletes, and it's been fun to root for two countries!

Here's a pic of me with Jacqui and Nancy at Nancy's surprise bachelorette party. She really loved the tiara (wink wink).

No comments: