Korean Time & Date

Current Weather

Saturday, October 13, 2007

A Trip to Oklahoma

Last week, Katie and I, along with my Mom and Dad, went to visit relatives in western Oklahoma. As usual, we had a great time. We got to see tons of family, and were even at Grandma and Grandpa's for the Texas/OU game, a source of great contention between the Texans and Okies in the family. Rather than give a detailed account of everything we did, I thought I'd just post a few pictures.



I took the photo above at the site of the Battle of the Washita near Cheyenne. The Washita was where chief Black Kettle and others were killed by Custer's 7th Cavalry. There is a nice, new visitor's center near the battle site where you can watch a documentary about it. We got into an insane amount of grass burrs ("stickers"), and there were lots of mosquitoes, but it was still a lot of fun.







Dad caught this huge grasshopper as we took the path down to the Washita River. Grasshoppers were everywhere; this one was exceptionally large.





A good shot of Dad as we stopped to rest near the river.



One of Mom, too.





Katie tries her hand at witching for water in Grandma and Grandpa's back yard, following Grandpa's directions.







As we drove through the Texas panhandle, Dad suddenly pulled the car over. He had spotted a tarantula crossing the the highway. Naturally, we all got out and looked at it. I don't think it was very pleased to have so much attention paid to it. Still, we managed to get it running in a direction away from the highway so that it wouldn't be flattened.



Dad made the mistake of ordering the "extra large" soft-serve cone at the Dairy Queen in Raton, New Mexico. As it wouldn't fit in the car, he had to eat it before we got back on the road.




My grandparent's dachshund, Allie, has an armchair all to herself that sits outside on the deck. When she's not being entertained by humans, she's kicking back in her chair.





A quick snapshot of Katie and I, taken while we were standing in the Cheyenne Pioneer Museum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I was holding my arms out straight enough for the water witching thing to work, but even so, I have my doubts about it actually working...