Korean Time & Date

Current Weather

Thursday, May 22, 2008

And so it goes

So it turns out that poor Aaron will be working six days a week this next term. We're pretty bummed. Two of the days he only has 1 three hour class, but the fact that he has to be there six days in a row is pretty crummy. This will be the case for the next thirteen weeks. We're just hoping the time goes by quickly! Luckily, he's been assured that he will not have to work Saturdays next term which is good news since my sister Mindy and her boyfriend Dave will be coming to see us during that time, and he'd rather not be swamped with work during the whole visit.
On a lighter note, we've begun taking private Korean lessons from a woman who teaches at Changwon University. Her English name is Julie, and she speaks and understands the English language very well. She's very professional too. She has us using a textbook and workbook that is also used at the university. Our first meeting was this past Wednesday, and she really gave us a run for our money! We really didn't know what to expect, I guess. I don't read Korean script as well as Aaron, and he would tell you that he's just OK at it. When she arrived at our apartment, she just dove into the lesson by giving us worksheets to do that had not even one word in English on them. I was a little overwhelmed, but in an exciting way, I guess. So for the past 24 hours, I've been racking my brain trying to memorize the Korean alphabet and replay new vocabulary words in my head. I'm proud to say that I can write my name in Hangul, and read some other words- very slowly.
In addition to the private lesson, another opportunity to learn Korean has come up. My friend Young asked me if I would be willing to do a language exchange with her. Meaning that she teaches me Korean in exchange for a lesson in English. No money involved. She has been studying English for a few years and is pretty good at it, so I may take her up on the offer.
Otherwise, there is nothing new to report. We are happy and healthy, and glad to hear that our families are as too. Well, I guess the ones in Colorado aren't happy about gas prices, but in general they are happy :)

Katie

No comments: