Korean Time & Date

Current Weather

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Bulgoksa Temple


On Saturday Katie and I visited the Bulgoska Temple, near the base of a nearby mountain. The following is from the back of our Changwon tourist map:

"We know few things about the temple's initial establishment. The monk Udamwhasang dug a Birojanabulsang from the site of the old temple in 1929 and reinstated the shrine with a new building. Until the reconstruction of the temple, the place was called Buddha Valley as many statues of buddha and fragments of tiles were found around there."


Please don't ask me what a Birojanabulsang is. I'm pretty sure we didn't see one, however.


The temple was quite beautiful, and Katie even spotted a monk. If I had seen one, I would have snapped a picture, but they are apparently fairly elusive. The temple seemed to be open to the public, with no one supervising at all.


I couldn't bring myself to enter any of the buildings, as doing so would have likely required me to have removed my shoes (not sure I can religiously justify that). But I did catch a glimpse inside several of the buildings, and saw this golden buddha inside one. I had to wonder, if I had picked it up, a la Indiana Jones, would I have been crushed by a giant boulder?



No comments: