Korean Time & Date

Current Weather

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Trip to Yeosu: Part 2


I took this picture of Yeosu after climbing part of the way up a cement stairway that runs up the side of one of the mountains that surrounds the city.


The second day at Yeosu, which was Sunday, we went to a nearby beach. The beach was not large, but was tucked away into a peaceful little cove, and their were hardly any other people there.


One of Henry's friends from university arrived not long after we got there, and brought his two little girls along -as well as a couple of handy beach umbrellas.



We're informed that Koreans, in general, don't care much for swimming. But these guys, just down the beach from us, were certainly having fun.


Henry, however, can be classified among the "no swimming" Koreans. He quickly improvised a means of keeping the sun off his neck, and was more than happy to chill on the beach.


There appeared to be a great deal of fishing in the area, as evidenced by the numerous boats not far away. Later I spotted a number of people fishing off of some nearby rocks.



I wasn't sure what the massive concrete blocks were for. They seemed a bit excessive if their purpose was to prevent coastal erosion. I thought maybe they were placed there to protect the boats on the other side from storm surge during typhoons, but I really don't know.


I thought I'd include this one because it illustrates something we see a lot here. This squatting posture is quite comfortable to most Koreans and is the result of spending most of their domestic life on the floor. I'm probably half this guy's age, but if I sat like this for one minute my feet would grow so numb I wouldn't be able to walk straight...


The neighborhood that was near the beach was very old, and consisted of traditional roads and houses. As you can see, the road was very narrow and had a wall on either side of it. Gates, usually with large, metal doors, were located at intervals along the walls. These led into the courtyards and gardens of the houses.


The roofs of the houses were distinctly Asian.




I noticed this sign among the houses. I assume that the evacuation route is mainly in case of a tsunami or typhoon, though it occurs to me that a fire among the maze of houses might also necessitate a quick escape.

No comments: