Korean Time & Date

Current Weather

Monday, March 10, 2008

We Have Arrived...


The day has finally arrived. Fanfair, please: This is our first post from Korea.

Yesterday morning Mom and Dad drove us from their house to DIA, where Kyle was also waiting to see us off. After a tearful goodbye, Katie and I boarded our Frontier Airlines flight from Denver to San Francisco. From San Francisco we took Singapore Airlines to Seoul, which was a 12-hour flight. We followed my school's directions for getting from the airport to the hotel with little difficulty, though "exhausted" does not adequately describe our condition by the time we finally turned in for the night.

The photo is of a small, plastic device affixed to the wall of our hotel room here in Seoul. When we got in yesterday evening, I found that flipping the light switches on and off seemed to have no affect. I called the front desk, of course, and explained that the lights were not working. Several moments later our buzzer rang and a video image popped up, on the screen on our phone, of the area just outside the door (I am not kidding); I immediately recognized the man from the front desk.

I opened the door, and he politely asked if I had "tried" my card. As I had no idea what he was talking about, he asked to see my card. I handed it to him, and he placed it into the small plastic device. Then he turned on the lights. He then looked at me the way you'd look at a person for whom you just had explain how to open a door. Katie and I later noticed that her key card bears the word "Woomin", presumably because the extra key is intended for the spouse.


As you can see, the hotel room is very "Asian". Although it is not as clean as we would have preferred, we are glad to be settled into our hotel for this week of orientation.


These slippers were awaiting us when we entered our room. They are an example of the infamous "house slippers" we have read so much about. As you can see, they provided one pair for me, and one for my "Woomin".

Today being Sunday, we really have nothing to do but relax and explore downtown Seoul a bit. Orientation begins tomorrow for me, and we'll provide updates as soon as possible. So far, so good, albeit we're a bit jet lagged and just a little homesick. We are very thankful to God that we made it here without any hitches!

No comments: