Korean Time & Date

Current Weather

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Is There Life After School?

Recently I have been considering how difficult it will be for Katie and I to adjust to the "post-graduation" lifestyle. I mean, we have really grown accustomed to getting up early (for me, in some cases, 3:00AM), going to bed early (8:30 or 9:00), rarely having an entire day off together, the study being a disaster, and watching movies together in eight-part installments. What will it be like to sleep in every now and then? Stay up until midnight? Not spend all my free time writing papers?

Of course, I'm sure we'll adapt just fine. In fact, it's difficult to restrain my excitement when I consider that this time next month I will be in my last week of class. Despite the holiday rush that will be taking place at work, I'm confident that the last two weeks of December will be astonishingly relaxing for us. Among other things, I'm looking forward to the opportunity to take lots of pictures, read books of my own choosing, and eat lots of holiday food.

As you might imagine, we have also been thinking more of Korea as we approach graduation. At times the thought is rather overwhelming, mostly due to the volume of tasks directly at hand. It can be hard to think that after all this effort, we will pause briefly only to undertake another major life "project". During times of particular stress, it can be hard to envision being transplanted into another culture not long after graduation.

On the other hand, in many ways Korea helps keep us motivated. During breaks between semesters I have grown remarkably excited about Korea, and I know that following graduation the excitement will mount once again. Korea represents the liberation we will experience in our new, debt-free, post-graduation life. We have the ability to go to Korea only because we have worked as hard as we have.

No comments: